40 DAYS & NIGHTS
March 9, 2011Read: Luke 4 "...man does not live on bread alone." --Luke 4:4
Moses spent 40 days and nights atop Mount Sinai before bringing down the law. Elijah walked 40 days and nights in a valley on his way to the mountain. And most importantly, Jesus fasted and prayed for 40 days and nights in the desert before He began His ministry.
Of the many lessons these stories teach us, I think it's the fact that no matter where we are -- mountain-top moments, life's lowest valleys or the day's deserts -- it's God who meets us there and prepares us for what lies ahead. Truth is, it's our availability, not our ability, that matters most in all our days and nights.
10 WAYS TO COOK CAJUN
By Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC
Looking to spice up your food Cajun-style? The sassy mix of black pepper, red pepper, garlic, paprika and dried herbs is good for more than just gumbo and jambalaya — here are 10 ways to add some Cajun to your cooking.
1. If you don’t have some on hand, make your own Cajun Spice Mix.
2. Sprinkle over freshly popped popcorn.
3. Mix with canola oil, brush over salmon, then grill.
4. Mix with ground turkey breast or 90 percent lean ground beef, Dijon mustard, and finely chopped red onion for a jazzed up burger.
5. Give oven fries a kick when they’re hot out of the oven.
6. Whisk with low fat ranch dressing to serve over a grilled chicken salad.
7. Make a one-pot Cajun shrimp dish – ready in less than 10 minutes!
8. Mix with nonfat Greek yogurt as a dip for veggies or baked potato topper.
9. Combine with crabmeat and cream cheese for surprisingly delectable party food.
10. Use on its own or mix with other favorite spices to make a dry rub for chicken, fish, steak, pork, corn on the cob or thick slices of vegetables.
TELL US: How do you use Cajun spice blend?
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC is the nutrition expert for Food Network.com and the Healthy Eats blog. She is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition.